City Clerk Duties
- Reports to the Mayor, City Council, and manages city offices.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operation of the City’s business, overseeing the accuracy of my work and the deputy clerk’s.
- Work as liaison for the Mayor and City Council to coordinate and inform them on issues and assure that there is follow through on their mandates when working with contractors, vendors, agencies, and associations that do business with the City.
- Handle the citizens of the community in a respectful and friendly manner while maintaining a firm position on the policies set by the City Council.
- Receives and investigates complaints from citizens.
- Write all letters needed as correspondence from the City.
- Prepare all legal Nuisance Abatements. Take pictures of nuisances and deal directly with citizens as needed to oversee resolution of the nuisance.
- Prepare all information necessary, so that the Mayor and Council can make formative decisions regarding the yearly budget. Prepare completed budget with probable levy rates for Council acceptance. Prepare final budget and have budget certified by March 15th with final copies to the state.
- Handling all cash disbursements for the timely and accurate payments of expenditures incurred by the City, and keep accurate records of same.
- Prepare Cigarette, Beer and Alcohol Permits and renewals for passage by the City Council.
- Evaluates and reviews all departmental expenditures and receipts.
- Transfers funds between accounts following standard accounting procedures.
- Invests city funds and monitors investment performance.
- Coordinates payment of all city bills, including payroll.
- Prepare payroll checks on the 15th and last day of each month for all city employees, keep accurate records of all transactions and disburse checks to employees.
- Prepare payroll checks for the Mayor and Council quarterly.
- Co-sign all checks disbursed by the City and arrange for the Mayor to co-sign checks in a timely manner.
- Coordinate all deposits and payments for Iowa State Sales Tax, 941 Tax Reports, IPERS payments and reports, Iowa Workforce payments and reports in a timely and accurate manner.
- Send out invoices and keep track of any money owed the City. Maintain policies and procedures for the timely payment of those invoices.
- Keep confidential employee records up to date and in secure area.
- Do back up tapes of all computer work done by the City and insure full back up tapes are stored in a secure fire and water proof enclosure.
- Balance the books on a monthly basis.
Our Past City Clerks:
1898 E. R. Place 1945 J. C. Edgar
1912 Cliff L. Main 1949 Roy Marolf
1914 C. L. Hill 1950 C. L. Melchert
1918 W. R. Reeve 1958 Frank Smith
1924 L. J. Ortmann 1959 R.L. Griffith
1926 W. R. Reeve 1960 Hollyce Loop
1929 R. D. Fierstine 1962 C. L. Melchert
1934 F. C. Reeve 1972 Mary F. Jasper
1934 A. W. McDonald 1997 Diane Nordmann
1940 J. J. Dunlap 2008 Amy M. Ries
1941 J. C. Edgar 2016 Sarah Helle
1943 W. A. Taylor