How to Get a Passport in Iowa [Step-by-Step Guide]

admin May 19, 2022

You may be wondering how to get a passport in Iowa. There are a few reasons why you might need one. Maybe you’re planning a trip overseas and you need a passport to travel. Or maybe you need a passport for work or study. Whatever the reason, getting a passport in Iowa is not as difficult as you might think. In this article, we’ll show you how to apply for a passport and what you need to do to get one.

People often have difficulty getting a passport because they don’t know how to apply for one. In addition, some people may not be aware of the requirements needed to get a passport.

Here are some common challenges people face when trying to get a passport:

  • Not knowing how to apply for a passport
  • Not having the required documents
  • Not knowing how long it will take to get a passport
  • Not knowing how much it will cost
  • Having a lost or stolen passport
  • Not being aware of additional services that are available
  • Having questions about passports in Iowa

It can be difficult to get a passport, especially if you don’t know how to apply for one or what the requirements are. This article will show you how to get a passport in Iowa with ease.

See Related: Is Iowa a Good Place to Live?

How to Apply for a Passport in Iowa

When it comes to travel, a passport is one of the most important documents you need. A passport is an identification document that proves your identity and nationality. It is also required for travel to certain countries.

If you’re planning a trip overseas, you’ll need to apply for a passport. The process of getting a passport can seem daunting, but we’re here to help. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about how to get a passport in Iowa.

What You Need to Provide When You Apply

When you apply for a passport, you’ll need to provide some basic information and documents. First, you’ll need to fill out an application form. You can get this form from the passport office or online.

You’ll also need to provide proof of your identity. You can do this with a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or previous passport. If you don’t have any of these documents, you can use two other forms of identification, such as a driver’s license and social security card.

In addition to these documents, you’ll need to provide two passport photos. These photos must meet certain requirements, such as being 2 inches by 2 inches and taken within the last 6 months. You can get your passport photos taken at a passport office, post office, or some drug stores.

Once you have all of these items, you’re ready to submit your application. You can do this by mail or in person.

If you apply by mail, you’ll need to send your application and supporting documents to the passport office. The address is:

U.S. Department of State


P.O. Box 1244

Williston, VT 05495-1244

If you apply in person, you can take your application and supporting documents to a passport office or acceptance facility. To find the nearest location, use the State Department’s Passport Facility Search tool.

When you submit your application, you’ll also need to pay the application fee. The current fee is $110 for an adult passport and $80 for a child passport. You can pay by check, money order, or credit card.

How Long it Will Take to Get Your Passport

Once you’ve submitted your application, it will take about 4-6 weeks to get your passport. If you need your passport sooner than that, you can request expedited service. This will cost an additional $60 and will take about 2-3 weeks.

You can also get your passport even sooner by applying in person at a passport office or acceptance facility. Some locations offer expedited service for an additional fee of $170. With this service, you can get your passport in about 8 hours.

How Much Will a Passport Cost?

As we mentioned, the application fee for an adult passport is $110 and the fee for a child passport is $80. If you request expedited service, you’ll need to pay an additional $60.

If you apply in person at a passport office or acceptance facility, you may be able to get your passport the same day. This service costs an additional $170.

Additional Services

In addition to the standard passport, there are some additional services that you can request. These services include getting a passport card, getting a passport book and card, or adding extra pages to your passport book.

Passport cards are only valid for travel by land or sea to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. They cannot be used for international air travel.

Passport books are valid for all types of international travel.

If you need extra pages in your passport book, you can request them when you apply for a new passport or renew your existing passport. You can also request extra pages if you already have a passport but need more room for visa stamps. The cost for extra pages is $82.

Is there anything else I need to know about getting a passport in Iowa?

Yes. If you’re under 16, you will need to have both of your parents’ consent before you can get a passport. If you’re 16 or 17, you will only need one parent’s consent.

If you cannot get your parent’s consent, you can submit a form called the Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances along with your application. This form must be signed by a third party who can attest to the circumstances preventing you from getting your parent’s consent.

If you’re 18 or over, you don’t need your parents’ consent to get a passport.


In this article, you have learned what is needed to get a passport in the state of Iowa. You know how long it will take to process your application and how much it will cost. In addition, we have provided additional services that are available to help make the process easier for you. If you have any questions about passports in Iowa, be sure to check out our FAQ section. Thanks for reading.

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some answers to common questions about passports in Iowa:

How long is a passport valid for?

A passport is valid for 10 years for adults and 5 years for children.

What should I do if my passport is lost or stolen?

If your passport is lost or stolen, you should report it to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate as soon as possible. You will also need to fill out a form and pay a fee to replace your passport.

My passport has been damaged. Can I still use it?

If your passport has been damaged, you will need to get a new one. You should report the damage to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate and then fill out a form and pay a fee to replace your passport.

What should I do if I’m traveling soon and my passport hasn’t arrived yet?

If you’re traveling soon and your passport hasn’t arrived yet, you should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. They may be able to issue you a temporary passport.

Leave a Comment